Eid al-Adha 2023 is coming! What is Eid al-Adha? Why we celebrate it? What we should do before Eid al-Adha 2023? Read this article to know more about Eid al-Adha 2023.
Muslims around the world are welcoming one of their biggest holidays, namely Eid al-Adha 2023 or also known as Hajj. Eid al-Adha itself is celebrated on the 10th of Dzulhijjah or which this year falls on June 28 or 29, depends on your country.
History of Eid al-Adha 2023
Eid al-Adha 2023 is celebrated to commemorate the sacrifice of Prophet Abraham who was willing to sacrifice his son, Prophet Ismail, for God. At that time, Prophet Ibrahim was being tested by God for his piety by ordering him to sacrifice his own biological child.
The implementation of Eid al-Adha itself in the Muslim tradition has been carried out since the 3rd year of Hijriyah, or 3 years after the Prophet Muhammad and his companions migrated to Medina.
The True Meaning of Eid al-Adha 2023
Eid al-Adha 2023 teaches us how we must fear God and surrender all our affairs to Him. In practicing piety, we will always be tested by various things and oftenly we have to give up the things we love.
If it is very difficult for us to offer up our possessions, then of course the quality of our piety is very far from the quality of the Prophet Abraham. With this Eid al-Adha 2023 celebration, we can train ourselves to sacrifice our four-legged cattle to be slaughtered and distributed to those who are entitled to receive them.
When is Eid al-Adha 2023?
Eid al-Adha 2023 falls on the 10th of Dzulhijjah. However, because Muslims are scattered in various parts of the world, each country may have a different day if it is based on the Gregorian solar calendar. Here is a list of countries’ celebrations:
|No||Countries||Eid al-Adha [Salat Eid al-Adha] on Gregorian Calendar|
|1||Saudi Arabia and Arab countries||28 June 2023|
|2||India, Pakistan, Bangladesh||29 June 2023|
|3||Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia||29 June 2023|
* some of Indonesian muslims celebrated on 28 June 2023
|4||Japan||29 June 2023|
|5||Canada||29 June 2023|
|6||UK||29 June 2023|
Wukuf Arafah and Eid al-Adha 2023
Eid al-Adha 2023 is determined from the implementation of the pilgrimage in Mecca. Because the pillar of the pilgrimage is wukuf, the implementation of wukuf in the Hajj pilgrimage also determines when Eid al-Adha can be held. So it’s no wonder that Eid al-Adha is also known as Hajj Day Festival.
Wukuf itself is held on the 9th of Dzulhijjah in the afternoon until 10 of Dzulhijjah in the morning. In 2023, wukuf itself falls on June 27, 2023. This is because the Saudi government stipulates that 1 Dzulhijjah falls on June 19, 2023. Thus, 10 Dzulhijjah falls on 28 June, 2023.
However, the fall of 1 Dzulhijjah is different in other regions. And thus, many countries outside Arab realms celebrated 10 Dzulhijjah a day after Saudi Arabia.
Preparation for Eid al-Adha 2023
In welcoming Eid al-Adha 2023, it is sunnah for Muslims to do Dzulhijjah fasting, Tarwiyah fasting, and Arafah fasting.
The Prophet Muhammad said: “There are no days that Allah SWT prefers to worship other than the first ten days of the month of Dzulhijjah. One day of fasting in it is equivalent to one year of fasting, one night of establishing prayer is equivalent to praying on the night of Lailatul Qadar.
Fasting during Dzulhijjah
Dzulhijjah fast is held on 1-7 Dzulhijjah. Fasting on this date is equivalent to getting the reward of fasting for one year.
Fasting during Tarwiyah Day
Tarwiyah fasting is held on the 9th of Dzulhijjah. This fast can erase the sins of a year. In addition, by fasting Tarwiyah, you will get a reward like that obtained by the Prophet Ayub.
Fasting during Arafah Day
Arafah fast is carried out at the same time when the pilgrims are carrying out their stay in the Arafah field on 9 Dzulhijjah or one day before Eid al-Adha.
This fast can erase minor sins for two years in the past and two years in the future. In addition, this fast also frees us from the fires of hell.
Sunnahs during Eid al-Adha 2023
When the day of Eid al-Adha 2023 arrives, we are encouraged to pray Eid al-Adha. But before doing it, there are lots of sunnahs that are recommended to be done. These sunnahs are:
- Echoing the takbir on the night of Eid al-Adha until it ends on the 13th of Dzulhijjah (Tasyrik Day)
- Carry out a junub bath before the Eid al-Adha prayer
- Wearing the best clothes during the Eid al-Adha prayer
- Parade fragrances during the Eid al-Adha prayer
- Not eating before the Eid al-Adha prayer
- Leave early
- Walk to the place of Eid al-Adha prayer
- Take different paths when going and coming home from the Eid al-Adha prayer
- Invite women and children to pray Eid al-Adha
- Not cutting the nails or hair before the sacrificial animal is slaughtered
Procedures for Eid Al-Adha 2023 Prayer
The Eid al-Adha prayer is held once a year only on the day of Eid al-Adha. This prayer is the same as the Eid al-Fitr prayer, it has 7 takbirs before bowing and is different from the daily prayer. You need to Read takbir (7 times takbir). After each of that takbir, you can can recite this prayer:
Subhanallah wal hamdu lillah wa laa ilaha illallah wallahu akbar.
Glory be to Allah and all praise be to Allah and there is no god but Allah and Allah is the Greatest.
There rest procedurs are same like other daily prayer.
Tips for Choosing Eid al-Adha Qurban
To make an Eid al-Adha 2023 sacrifice, we cannot just choose an animal to be sacrificed. There are conditions that must be met.
- Must be livestock that are halal and have four legs (cows, goats, sheep, and camels)
- The age of the animal must be sufficient. Camels must be 6 years old, cows 3 years old, sheep 1 year and at least 6 months old, and goats 2 years old
- Not pregnant. Therefore it is recommended to choose a male to avoid an unknown pregnancy
- Healthy, not disabled, not castrated, and not diseased
Tips for Preparing Eid al-Adha 2024 Qurban
If you want to make sacrifices, but are not ready this year, you can start planning to save from now on. You can do the following ways:
- Decide what animal you want to sacrifice. Because different animals, different prices. You can check your local market to know how much it is.
- After determining the price of the victim, you need to divide that price by 10 months. This is because we follow the Hijriyah calendar which is faster than AD.
- You can repay it every month for 10 months until your money is collected to buy it.
- You also need to check your local laws related to this festival. Some countries especially the Western countries may have very strict rules related to this sacrifice.
- Can we sacrifice chickens or fish for Eid al-Adha 2023?
According to Imam An-Nawawi, it is permissible to sacrifice all types of camels, all types of cows, all types of goats and all types of sheep. Chickens or other animals not mentioned are not animals that can be sacrificed.
- Who has the right to get sacrificial meat?
There are three groups who are entitled: Shohibul Qurban or those who sacrifice, neighbors including friends and relatives regardless of their financial condition, and the poor who need qurbani meat.
- Can we sacrifice jointly?
Yes, you can. But for camels or cows, a maximum of only 7 people. As for goats/sheep, only one person is permitted.
Celebrate Eid al-Adha with Ahatik
Celebrate your Eid al-Adha 2023 with Ahatik.com. You can download Eid al-Adha related song with Ahatik YouTube to MP3 Converter for free! For example, you can download this beautiful Eid al-Adha song: